Saturday, May 21, 2011

More to love than lose in Nexus S



Google Nexus S is a promising Android device with a nice set of features such as the noise cancellation software, a 5MP camera, WiFi capability, and a more than decent battery life. Being Google-branded means that it is leveraged mostly on Google applications, and will therefore be much appreciated by Google fans.

When we say a Google phone, it means that the phone was designed hands on by the Google Android team. What does this mean? We get the most out of Google and Android! Yay! I was so happy with how fast setup took -- only a minute. I just entered my Google account credentials and the phone is ready to go. Nexus S is definitely designed for a Google user with built-in applications like Google Mail, Google Calendar, Google Contacts and a lot more.

Aesthetically, Google’s Nexus S is different from Samsung’s Galaxy S series but they do look alike. It follows Samsung’s shiny, black plastic casing -- big change from Nexus One’s metal finish.

A lot of consumers think that the black plastic finish doesn’t do the phone justice and makes it look gauche, but I disagree. It makes the phone lighter and it complements the big screen of the phone. At 4.55 ounces and with dimensions of 63mmx123.9mmx10.88mm or no bigger than a ladies’ wallet, you have a portable phone!

I was definitely awed with the big screen and found myself enjoying the browsing experience on this device. The speed of the device ought to be mentioned, too and this most probably be because of the 1 GHz Hummingbird processor.

Nexus S’ greatest asset is that it is unlocked. This gives the consumer freedom to use any SIM card. Plus, it’s very convenient especially if you travel a lot.

Another awesome feature is Near Field Communication or NFC. Basically, NFC allows use in place of a credit card by simply tapping the phone against special sensors in retail stores. This is similar to the G-Pass at MRT stations. It also allows phones to swap data between each other via 3 methods: read, write, and exchange. Though it won’t have much impact now, it’ll surely be something great in the future.

Nexus S has WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS. I was disappointed with WiFi though. I tested Nexus S and another WiFi enabled smartphone side by side using the same WiFi network. Nexus S only has 1 bar of signal which is very poor while the other smartphone has 3 bars of signal. This is a deal breaker for me as I’m a huge user of WiFi.

I love how big the display is. With the 4-inch super AMOLED 480x800 resolution screen, I felt that I don’t need a bigger device for my view preferences.

The curved glass screen was definitely a welcome change in the Nexus phone! I heard though that the screen is flat but the glass is curved. No matter which is flat and which is curved, the design worked and I loved it!

Nexus S has a three-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, digital compass, proximity sensor and light sensor. The light sensor works really well. It adjusts pretty well under poor light conditions or even in extremely bright environment.

When it comes to hardware, the Nexus S is packs a punch with the 1 GHz Hummingbird processor. This definitely is the major reason why the device has great speed performance, being able to handle multiple running apps and background processes.

However, I am concerned about phone memory. It only has 16GB internal memory. While some may think it’s enough but for heavy smartphone user like me, it definitely is not. I believe applications alone can quickly fill 16GB memory, how much more music and videos? It’s also ironic that Google included moving apps to an external storage in their OS, yet it removed the expansion slot in Nexus S.

I’ve been using Nexus S heavily for a week. I had to charge it every night but it didn’t come to a point when I lost battery while I was out. Hence, I can say that Nexus S has a good battery life.

I also like the battery page in the Google device. You can see which application is using up most of the battery and some other information. This is especially useful if you’re still out and will need to conserve battery.

There are third party software that really stand out in my book. I love that they created it beautifully in Android OS.

The ones that I liked are Facebook, Foursquare, Angry Birds (it’s FREE!), Plurka, Nesoid Lite and of course, the Google apps.

The one that I dread, on the other hand, is Tweetdeck (geez, it really sucked!).

source: mb.com.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment